Monday 5 March 2012

Recipie for a Daily Diet of Happiness!

I have finished work early today because I am starting to wind down in preparation for leaving a position I have been in for nearly 5 years. I feel a mixture of sadness and excitement for myself but I feel a great deal of worry for my clients with whom I have developed effective working therapeutic relationships and for whom this ending will be hard and unsettling.
Many of my clients find it hard to see anything to smile about. They feel there is nothing to feel joyful about and feel that they may never climb out of the black hole they are in.
These people are remarkable individuals with so much to offer and I strive to help them release that potential. I hate to see anyone in pain but I know there is only so much I can do, the rest is up to them. We all have to take control of our lives, not matter how huge the obstacles in our way are. Much of the time, our perception of the challenges we face are far greater than the actual reality, but we are scared to step out of our comfort zone so we go round in the same old cycle of pain and self destruction. Our opinions are not based on fact but we fool ourselves into believing them and so we never actively do something different to test our theorys.
Much of the time, our mental health affects us so greatly that we are consumed with negative emotions such as anxiety and depression which stand in the way of us being able to function properly, think clearly and make changes that can ultimately only help increase self esteem and self belief.
I see people stuck in this rut all the time, and it is sad, frustrating and heart breaking.
But I truly believe that if we can all just incorporate 1 of the activities below in our lives daily with the goal of increasing them, we can lead a better quality of life. I know, I'm living proof that it works! and I know because I have seen my clients slowly recover as they put these small challenges into place.

Here are a few thoughts gathered from my own experiences and other sources about how we can all enhance the quality of our lives and make the most out of every moment we are blessed to be given!
  • Walk for at least 20 mins every day and SMILE!
  • Sit quietly for at least 10 mins every day
  • Write down a list of your goals each night for the next day. This can help you to feel organised which frees you from that feeling of not knowing where to start!
  • Listen to relaxing music, it is good nourishment for the soul
  • Dance!
  • Live the 3 "E's" - Enjoyment, Enthusiasm and Empathy
  • Tap into your Silly Self and make your kids laugh!
  • Read thought provoking, interesting and life changing books
  • Look at the sky at least once daily and appreciate the majesty of the world that surrounds us
  • DayDream!
  • Eat more Plant based foods
  • Eat less manufactured foods
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Eat dinner as a family and make a toast every day to something good that has happened that day
  • Try to make at least 3 people laugh every day
  • Don't spend your precious time immersed in negative thoughts or things beyond your control. Instead, concentrate on what you can change. It is better to invest your energy in the postive present
  • Life is a school and we are here to learn. Problems are lessons that come and go. What we learn from them will serve us for the rest of our lives
  • Always eat breakfast to give you energy to face the challenges the day may bring. FOOD IS MOOD!
  • Elimate clutter in your home and let a new energy enter your life
  • Smile and Laugh More Often
  • Do not let the opportunity pass to Hug a Friend

  • Life is too short to waste time hating someone
  • Don't take yourself too seriously, No one else does!
  • Make peace with your past, so as not to ruin the present
  • It's not neccessary to win every argument. Assertiveness is about being heard not gettig what you want.
  • Don't compare your life with others. You have no idea of the highways they have travelled during their lives. Walk in their shoes before commenting!
  • Nobody is responsible for your happiness except yourself
  • Remember that we have no control over what happens to us, only what we do
  • We cannot change how someone else behaves, only our reactions towards them.
  • What others think of us is not completely under our control. We cannot be liked by everyone!
  • Learn something new every day, a new word, a new fact, a new activity, a new song etc...
  • Appreciate your body, it's marvellous
  • Remember, hard times WILL pass. Situations WILL change
  • Stay in touch with Friends. They will always be there for you.
  • These are my 2 OLDEST Friends!! Pen is on my left and she is the photographer responsible for the photos in this post and for many of the pictures in previous posts! Rach is on my right and she has the MOST adorable 2 little girls!
  • Reject everything that is not useful, beautiful or amusing
  • Don't loose time. We already have all the things we need
  • Don't be afraid to Cry. BE EMOTIONAL, it's good for you!
  • The best is yet to come

  • Do something for someone EVERYday
  • Each Day, before going to sleep, Acknowledge something postive that has happened that day
  • Remember, we have too much that is good to be stressed
 
  • Your health is your most important gift. Look after it
  • Don't miss the Beautiful

  • Enjoy the voyage. There is only 1 chance to be successful
  • Life is beautiful, You must appreciate it as much as possible
  • FEED THE BIRDS!
  • Have a wonderful journey!

12 comments:

  1. Hello Jen! So nice to 'meet' you. What a wonderful Blog you have and I love this post...very encouraging and good advice for ALL of us. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. GOOD LUCK with your dream for the future...if you want it bad enough it will happen. Hubby and I are a good example of how a dream can become a reality. I hope your day has been a good one so far.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maura, Thanks so much for your encouragement and inspiration! So happy to have my first comment! This has given me real incentive to keep going with my blog! And I can't wait to get back to your blog and read everything I have missed!
      THANKYOU!

      Delete
  2. Jen, Thank you so much for stopping over at Living Life. I so enjoyed reading this post. I agree with each point you made. You said it beautifully. You must wake up each morning looking to make it the best it can be. I hope you soon find Spring visiting your area. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie, Thankyou for your lovely words. I feel honoured that you have come to my blog and am encouraged and inspired to keep writing. I love your description of Living Life and feel very connected with that.
    It is very cold here tonight! But I have felt the warmth of the sun and I have lots of hope for a bright days to come!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips - some I hope to use today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy, I hope your week is going as planned (as if that ever happens?!!!) I had intended to spend another day blogging but work kinda got in the way, but has given me something to blog about! I'm also realising I need to get some house work done! Oh well, It can't all be good!
      I'm sure you didn't need those tips as I imagine you incorporate them into your life already but I like to remind myself so I never forget to be grateful!x

      Delete
  5. Laugh with no limits, cry when you must, breathe in deeply, but exhale slowly. Know what it is to love and care, and be careful not to hurt or harm those who surround you. Life is never simple, and sometimes hard, but we are all in charge of our own being and for the majority of us, the choices are there to find our joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Your blog is lovely and meaningful. I really enjoyed reading your post. Very well done.
      Arleen

      Delete
    2. Thankyou Arleen. We do, most of us have a choice and the world is full of opportunity, there is no lid, it is just ourselves who block our full potential. We just have to give our dreams substance and work hard and the outlook starts to look brighter. x

      Delete
  6. All the best to you on your blog here. I read on one of your comments that you don't get too many comments, and looky looky, "everybody" is showing up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ron
      I am loving your comment. It made me smile and I have been over to your blog and look forward to reading more.
      I read in your profile that you are just starting to find your sense of direction after blogging for some time. Well that's just how I feel now, gotta long way to go, and lots of Techno things to learn but with lovely comments like this, it just makes wanna blog and blog and blog and blog and....... you get the picture!!!
      Today has been a day of firsts, and all these wonderful comments are part of those firsts!!! Many Thanx x

      Delete
  7. What an awesome list! You are such an inspiration, and I am honoured to call you a friend. You are one of the few people I know who truly walks the talk, and in doing so you lead by example. I love you xxx

    ReplyDelete